General Permits & Licenses

Employer Identification Number (EIN)
An EIN (also known as an Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) or Federal Tax Identification Number) is issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and is needed for a business to pay employees and file business tax returns. An EIN does not expire and is unique to your business – once an EIN has been given to an entity, it will never be issued again.

Trade Name Registration Form
A trade name is any name used during the course of your business that doesn’t include the full legal name of all the owners of the business. In Stamford, must register your trade name through the Town Clerk’s office. More information can be found on the Create a Name page.

REG-1: CT Tax Registration Form
In order to register your business with the State of Connecticut, you must complete the REG-1 Business Tax Registration Form. By filling out this form and the proper addendums, you can get your permit to sell tobacco products, fuel, etc. More information can be found on the Business Registration page.

CT Sales and Use Tax Form
Permit required in order to sell or lease tangible personal property in the State of Connecticut. You can fill out this permit using the Taxpayer Service Center.

Building Permit
Permit required for any additions, alterations, or repairs to a building, and electrical wiring and plumbing installations. If you plan on any major renovations, a building permit/inspection is likely needed.

Sign Permit
If your business plans on using a sign, you will need a sign permit. This permit is required for most business signs and includes fabricated, hanging, and painted signs.

City Restaurant Health Inspection
The City of Stamford Health Department requires a pre-operational health inspection and a routine health inspection around every six to twelve months thereafter. It’s advisable to review what the health inspector is going to check during their inspection.

Patio, Extension of Use, and Additional Consumer Bar Application
If you’d like to have an outside patio (for restaurants/cafes), extend the reach of your service (any business except restaurants/cafes) or place an additional consumer bar in your establishment, you will need to fill out this application.

Food Handler Inspection
The Stamford Health Department, Environmental
Health and Inspection Division issues this license to all food service establishments in the City of Stamford to ensure public health and the practice of proper food preparation methods by the establishment. Costs vary based upon restaurant seating.