Food Truck

Put your restaurant on wheels! Navigate the business world with our Food Truck Starter Kit as your GPS.

The Food Truck Starter Kit provides everything you need to help you choose a location, set up your truck, obtain a health permit, and open your doors - including a printable version of the Food Truck Guide.

What's Inside

Food Truck Guide

Food Truck - Related Documents

Food Truck - Permits

Employer Identification Number (EIN)
An EIN (also known as an Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) or Federal Tax Identification Number) is issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and is needed for a business to pay employees and file business tax returns. An EIN does not expire and is unique to your business – once an EIN has been given to an entity, it will never be issued again.

REG-1: CT Tax Registration Form
In order to register your business with the State of Connecticut, you must complete the REG-1 Business Tax Registration Form. By filling out this form and the proper addendums, you can get your permit to sell tobacco products, fuel, etc.

Trade Name Registration Form
A trade name is any name used during the course of your business that doesn’t include the full legal name of all the owners of the business. In Stamford, must register your trade name through the Town Clerk’s office. More information can be found on the Create a Name page.

Sales and Use Tax Permit
Permit required in order to provide a service or sell/lease tangible property in the State of Connecticut. You can fill out this permit using the Taxpayer Service Center. Find out if your product/service is exempt from Sales and Use Tax by looking at the State's list of exemptions

CT Unemployment Tax Form UC-1A
All employers must register their employees with the Unemployment Insurance Tax Division using the UC-1A Employer Status Report form linked above. The Unemployment Insurance Tax Division is responsible for the funding needed to pay CT employees that have become unemployed through no fault of their own. To learn more about unemployment insurance, we encourage you to read the Employer’s Guide to Unemployment Compensation or check out the CT Department of Labor’s Unemployment Insurance Tax Information Center.

Sign Permit
Required for most business signs. Includes fabricated and hanging signs, as well as signs that have been painted directly on a building.

City Restaurant Health Inspection
The City of Stamford Health Department requires a pre-operational health inspection and a routine health inspection around every six to twelve months thereafter. It’s advisable to review what the health inspector is going to check during their inspection.

Vendor’s License
Allows you to operate a mobile business on public property (i.e. sidewalks, streets, public areas).

Permit to Vend in Public Park
The linked permit above allows a vendor to vend in a public park on a specific day (i.e. July 4th). This permit is a one-day permit to vend only. If you’d like to have a seasonal permit to vend in a public park, please contact the Parks Department.

Food Handler Inspection
The Stamford Health Department, Environmental Health and Inspection Division issues this license to all food service establishments in the City of Stamford to ensure public health and the practice of proper food preparation methods by the establishment. Costs vary based upon restaurant seating.